- Slice bacon crosswise. Cook in a dutch oven or soup pot stirring until crisp. Remove from pot and place in the crockpot.
- Place half the meat in the pot and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the meat is browned on all sides. Place the browned meat in the crockpot. Repeat with the other half of the meat.
- Dice the onion. Add the onion and celery to the pot. if needed, add some oil to pot. Cook the onion and celery until soft. Add the mushrooms to the pot and cook and continue to cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Place the vegetable mixture in the crockpot.
- Add the xanthan gum to the oil left in the pot.(May need to add a little more oil.) Stir to mix the oil and xanthan gum. Add the wine, stirring to mix. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer until wine begins to thicken.
- Add the beef broth, stirring continuously. Stir in the tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf. Simmer until the sauce has thickened. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce into the crockpot and stir to mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf. Serve alone or over cauliflower rice.